October 9, 2019, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Bower Center for the Arts, Terrace Room
304 North Bridge Street, Bedford, VA
In an era of tariffs and trade wars, manufacturers with global supply chains need to be proactive by taking defensive measures while aggressively pursuing new foreign markets. Join the Virginia SBDC and Town of Bedford Economic Development for a one day program featuring private sector experts in legal, engineering, finance, and business development along with federal and state trade resources dedicated to your global success. There is no cost to attend but space is limited. Open to any Virginia business currently exporting. If you have questions, please call Stephanie Keener at 434-845-5966 x. 30 for program details.
Attendees will learn:
- How to make strategic adjustments to your global supply chains and mitigate the pain of tariffs by seeking product exclusions for your products from the Section 232 and 301 tariffs.
- Selecting the right markets and distribution channels for my products in foreign markets.
- How to assess the ability to compete in a foreign market for my company; writing an international-trade SWOT analysis.
- What you need to know about a market before launching your sales’ efforts.
- How to extend open account terms to overseas customers while protecting yourself from nonpayment.
- Federal and state resources for market research, finding and vetting overseas partners, trade missions and trade shows, and more.
|9:00 am||Welcome||Mary Zirkle, Town of Bedford; Stephanie Keener, Virginia SBDC – Lynchburg Region|
|9:10 am||Identifying your Competitive Advantage in Foreign Markets||Mario Winterstein|
|10:30 am||“Tariffs and trade wars: what can you do to ease the pain?”||Evelyn Suarez|
|12:00 pm||Lunch||Sponsored by the Bank of James|
|12:30 pm||International Methods of Payment||Panel: EX-IM Bank, Interlink Capital Strategies, Fulton Bank|
|1:45 pm||Resources and Considerations for Going Global||Aaron Miller, Virginia SBDC|
|2:00 pm||Finding and Vetting Overseas Partners||US Commercial Service|
|2:30 pm||Resources to Go Global||Nathan Day, VEDP|
|3:00 pm||Open Discussion and Closing Remarks|